The flat top haircut is one of the most basic barber haircuts. With that said basic does not mean easy. You are creating a square shape on a round object and with the hair being so short any imperfection will show. Proficiency with the flat top hairstyle will give you a good understanding of fading techniques, clipper over comb techniques, and scissor over comb techniques. You will also gain an understanding of the square shaped haircut and the concept of leaving weight in the corners that most men’s hairstyles require.
1. Fade the sides to the desired length.
2. Taper the outline of the haircut.
3. Blend the round of the head section into the top section using the clipper or scissor-over-comb technique.
4. Apply a light hold gel to the hair and blow dry the hair so that it is all standing up evenly.
5. Using a large flat top comb and the clipper-over-comb technique, create your center guide. Make sure to leave the front longer and angle slightly downward in the crown area.
6. Repeat step 5 on the left and right sides, evening off the top. Make sure to always keep your comb parallel to the floor to ensure the square shape and preserve the corners.
7. Apply the final styling product and complete the final touch up. I recommend spinning the chair 360 degrees and checking from every angle in your mirror before letting the client leave.
Video: Greg Zorian
Modern Men's Brushed Back Undercut
Short Female Clipper Cut With Textured Top
Greg Zorian is a third-generation barber with over two decades of experience behind the chair and as an educator. His work has been featured in numerous publications including Milady Standard of Professional Barbering Textbook and DVD series, Modern Salon Magazine, First Chair Magazine, Modern Salon Learning, Shop Modern Salon, Milady Pro, Travel and Leisure Magazine, Four Seasons Magazine, and the Rachel Ray show. Greg has a full-service education company featuring live seminars and online education via the web-based platformwww.HowToCutHair.tv He also recently developed the Zorian of New York (www.ZorianOfNewYork.com) specialty men’s grooming line of haircare products. To learn more about Greg, please visit http://www.gregzorian.com/.